[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #53232: Add async decoding attribute as default to the HTML image tags generated by WordPress

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Fri May 21 17:45:49 UTC 2021

#53232: Add async decoding attribute as default to the HTML image tags generated by
WordPress
-----------------------------+--------------------------
 Reporter:  isaumya          |       Owner:  (none)
     Type:  feature request  |      Status:  new
Changes (by westonruter):

 * keywords:   => needs-patch
 * milestone:  Awaiting Review => 5.8

Comment:

 Another [https://fantinel.dev/web-images-modern-formats/#lazy-loading-and-
 async-decoding explanation] on the benefits of `decoding=async` from Matt
 Fantinel:

 > `decoding="async"` tells your browser it can try to parallelize loading
 your image. When your page is loading, it tries to decode both text and
 images at the same time. On lower-end devices though, decoding heavy
 images can take a while, and this might block the rendering of the rest of
 the content. With this option, the browser will try to proceed rendering
 the rest of the content and render the image later. This can be a great
 improvement to perceived performance.

 I'm going to milestone this for 5.8 even though we're nearing the May 25th
 date for the feature freeze, although the patch should be small. This will
 probably get punted to 5.9.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/53232#comment:8>