[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #47510: Developer tool - Best Practice - input comment field Does not use passive listeners

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Tue May 11 23:36:25 UTC 2021

#47510: Developer tool - Best Practice - input comment field Does not use passive
listeners
------------------------------------+--------------------------------------
 Reporter:  efilippucci             |       Owner:  (none)
     Type:  defect (bug)            |      Status:  closed
  refresh                           |
------------------------------------+--------------------------------------
Changes (by peterwilsoncc):

 * status:  reopened => closed
 * focuses:  accessibility, javascript, performance => javascript,
              performance
 * resolution:   => wontfix

Comment:

 @butterflymedia This is unrelated to the support of IE11 as noted above.

 > This is unrelated to IE11 support, per the
 [https://developer.mozilla.org/en-
 US/docs/Web/API/EventTarget/addEventListener MDN addEventListener
 documentation] using a passive listener will cause the event to fail and
 throw a console error if it contains `event.preventDefault()`:

 > > A Boolean which, if true, indicates that the function specified by
 listener will never call preventDefault(). If a passive listener does call
 preventDefault(), the user agent will do nothing other than generate a
 console warning.

 Unless a patch can be created that removes the need to prevent the default
 event, ''this remains unfixable in all browsers''. If such a patch is
 provided, then it may be possible to reconsider this issue, otherwise the
 dev-tools report remains a false negative.

 As this is unfixable I've reclosed the ticket but you are more than
 welcome to continue the discussion while the ticket is closed.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/47510#comment:41>