[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #44610: Allow Youtube-Player to use youtube-nocookie.com URLS to avoid setting cookies.

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Tue May 4 10:53:11 UTC 2021

#44610: Allow Youtube-Player to use youtube-nocookie.com URLS to avoid setting
cookies.
 Reporter:  jepperask                            |       Owner:
                                                 |  williampatton
     Type:  enhancement                          |      Status:  assigned
  note                                           |

Comment (by jottevanger):

 100% with [comment:46 adakaleh] on this. The default must be privacy: it's
 the ethical thing to do, consistent with WordPress' philosophy, but it is
 also a legal requirement of GDPR that we offer users informed consent
 prior to setting any privacy-relevant cookies (or other technologies). And
 this is not really a question of "I as a user think this may be
 inconvenient". It's one of "I as a site owner need to ensure my site is
 legal". Currently site owners are being obliged to either force third
 party cookies on users or depend on authors to use alternative, long-
 winded means of embedding YT videos.

 The embedded video really must default to the "no-cookies" version, in the
 absence of either (a) some sort of hook to allow the integration of cookie
 consent solutions into how any built-in embeds are rendered; or (b) a UI
 for site owners or perhaps authors to manage how all or individual videos
 are rendered. Personally I think that (b) is the way to go: a site-level
 setting for admins to make the decision on what the default is, although
 to remain on the right side of the law they would be unwise not to make
 this the private version.

 I understand the concerns, of course, but they may be overstated. As far
 as user experience goes, you can still add a video to "Watch later" or
 save it to faves: simply click the title to see the video on YouTube, at
 which point you'll be logged in (if you're logged in) and can do all the
 usual operations. Likewise with ad-free viewing for YouTube Premium users:
 just click through to see the video as a logged-in user.

 The observations from @BjornW, @adakaleh and @xkon about cookies and local
 storage are really useful. I've done a bit more digging and would observe
 also:
 - www.youtube-nocookie.com does set a cookie, but only an essential one
 concerning consent status
 - the local storage entry "yt-remote-device-id" that @adakaleh noted does
 not appear to be sent with any requests to Google/YT. I've looked in the
 post data and request headers to both and can't find anything that seems
 to correspond to this, or is persistent across videos and page loads.
 - there is one header named "X-Goog-Visitor-Id", something like
 "CgthWHRxa2hqbENJSSiBk8SEBg%3D%3D", which is sent to youtube-nocookies.com
 e.g. when logging events (play data); at first glance looks like it will
 be a persistent identifier for the user, but it is different for each
 video and for each load of the same video.

 So overall I'm happy that the "no-cookies" version of YouTube probably
 respects the spirit of privacy (and the law) as it claims. But we really
 need the work that has been going on here for ''three years'' to come to a
 conclusion and get into core, so site owners and platform hosts can do the
 right thing by their users and get legal!

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/44610#comment:47>