[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #52897: Animated PNG: WordPress keeps renaming .apng files into .png (I lost 10 hours of work)

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Wed Mar 24 06:07:31 UTC 2021

#52897: Animated PNG: WordPress keeps renaming .apng files into .png (I lost 10
hours of work)
 Reporter:  mdrejhon      |      Owner:  (none)
     Type:  defect (bug)  |     Status:  new
Component:  Upload        |    Version:  5.7
 Severity:  normal        |   Keywords:
  Focuses:                |
 Hello,

 I want to be able to upload .apng files without them being renamed back to
 .png

 Some plugins that optimizes PNG files destroys animated PNG files:

 https://github.com/nosilver4u/ewww-image-optimizer/issues/220

 I had to get a 3rd party file-renaming plugin called "Media File Renamer"
 that allows me to rename uploaded APNGs (renamed by WordPress to PNG
 during upload) back to .apng file extension.

 That allows me to configure 3rd party PNG compressors to avoid optimizing
 .apng files (not all of them properly support it).

 Good example animated PNG:

 https://blurbusters.com/wp-
 content/uploads/2018/12/Acer_XB252Q_Animated.apng

 Found in this web page:

 https://blurbusters.com/faq/lcd-overdrive-artifacts/