[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #52874: Activating plugins on Install page randomly errors with "The plugin does not have a valid header" message.

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Mon Mar 22 22:10:18 UTC 2021

#52874: Activating plugins on Install page randomly errors with "The plugin does
not have a valid header" message.
 Reporter:  danieliser    |       Owner:  (none)

Comment (by danieliser):

 @siliconforks - I wasn't sure what you meant as I didn't have that
 locally, but I do see that the Content Control 1.1.5 tag has a nested
 trunk folder. No idea how that would get there, committed and tagged
 v1.1.6 this week with the exact same CLI commands sans changing v#.

 That said it does make since, but given that this doesn't occur on the All
 Plugins page, maybe some assumption should be made as to which of the
 "found" plugins would be the primary, maybe a file priority list.

 slug/slug.php
 slug/index.php
 slug/(*.).php
 slug/**/(*.).php

 This way it doesn't throw the error.

 I do see the reason not to do so in the case of the extra `/trunk/` not
 supposed to be there, but I know other plugins that do legit contain
 secondary plugins which as you pointed out would also cause this and
 likely shouldn't.

 If its decided to leave the error, the messaging needs to be updated to be
 more clear that in fact the header is not invalid, but that multiple
 headers were detected, then maybe even list them all and let the user
 choose which to activate.

 Anything is better than the generic message happening currently.

 Should point out, that if the notice said different and indicated multiple
 were detected, we wouldn't have ever filed this ticket, would have
 instantly known something wasn't right and had a much better idea of what
 it was.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/52874#comment:4>