[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #52807: Open the Author and Plugin URI on dashboard installed plugin list on new tab (target="_blank")

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Mon Mar 15 01:06:17 UTC 2021

#52807: Open the Author and Plugin URI on dashboard installed plugin list on new
tab (target="_blank")
 Reporter:  cadillacs                |       Owner:  (none)
     Type:  enhancement              |      Status:  reopened
  privacy-review                     |  administration, template,
                                     |  performance, coding-standards
Changes (by cadillacs):

 * keywords:   => 2nd-opinion needs-privacy-review
 * status:  closed => reopened
 * focuses:  accessibility, administration =>
     ui, accessibility, administration, template, performance, coding-
     standards
 * resolution:  duplicate =>

Comment:

 Apparently this requirement is taken a bit lightly or without really
 delving into the enormous opportunity for improvement in various aspects
 of the design and usability of WordPress.

 I see that all the tickets created related to the "Author URI" and "Plugin
 URI" links from the list of plugins in the administrative area have been
 closed without further analysis or justification. Apparently everything
 focuses in general on the comment of @afercia from 4 years ago regarding
 usability ...

 Although it is somewhat difficult to try to explain my humble point of
 view clearly and precisely through a ticket, I will try ...

 It is true that it is a good practice to avoid the opening of links in new
 pages or tabs, and when this was the case then that must be indicated
 visually to the user.

 The problem is that throughout the different sections of the backend or
 administrative area there are links that point to external sites where
 some open in the same tab where you are browsing and others in a new tab
 without a visual signal and without any criteria apparent or uniformity.

 For example, in the list of installed plugins the "Author URI" and "Plugin
 URI" links (which point to external sites) open in the same window / page
 / tab (taken to user completely away from the administrative area and the
 page), but if you click on the same links that are located in the pop-up
 window that opens when you click on the "View details" link, as they open
 in a new window or tab (as it should be).

 In summary, my recommendation is to analyze in which links, for usability
 issues, the implementation of the target="_ blank" attribute should be
 allowed, for example, in the links discussed in this ticket ("Author URI"
 and "Plugin URI" ), but postponing each link a small popup icon (the open
 in a new window icon).

 Other links to which the same analysis could be applied, would be those
 that are displayed when hovering the mouse over the Wordpress logo located
 in the upper left corner of the administrative area:

 WordPress.org
 Documentation
 Support
 Feedback

 ... I think it's good that they show those links related to Wordpress, but
 add the attribute target = "_ blank" and the corresponding popup icon to
 each link.

 As a last comment, I would like to emphasize that we are talking about the
 administrative area, which is not accessed by the users of the frontpage
 or by the indexing robots of the web search engines, that is, it does not
 affect the visitors of the web or the indexing of the herself.

 I hope this information and comments are useful and I hope you delve
 deeper into this topic and the best solution for the benefit of the large
 community of Wordpress users.

 Thanks in advance for taking the time to read my comments and revisit this
 topic. Greetings.-

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/52807#comment:2>