[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #52800: Make most default post type labels use "name" and "singular_name" variables instead of defaulting to Post/Page

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Fri Mar 12 22:44:36 UTC 2021

#52800: Make most default post type labels use "name" and "singular_name" variables
instead of defaulting to Post/Page
-------------------------------+-------------------------------------------
 Reporter:  jaspercreel        |      Owner:  (none)
     Type:  enhancement        |     Status:  new
Component:  Posts, Post Types  |    Version:  5.7
 Severity:  minor              |   Keywords:  dev-feedback needs-unit-tests
  Focuses:                     |
-------------------------------+-------------------------------------------
 It's always bothered me that, when the only thing I want to change about
 labels for custom post types are name and singular name, I have to pull up
 the list of allowed labels and change out Post/Page for each one if I want
 to be comprehensive. I think it makes much more sense to let the name or
 singular name, if provided, be the default in almost every label.

 I actually coded out a way to do this, but I want to write some good unit
 tests before I say it officially works. It involves splitting up the
 default labels into ones which can use string templates to add in the
 name/singular name, and keeping the original default labels array with the
 hierarchical and non-hierarchical defaults.