[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #52773: Twenty Twenty-One Theme - "Can't read property querySelector of null" console error

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Thu Mar 11 09:35:48 UTC 2021

#52773: Twenty Twenty-One Theme - "Can't read property querySelector of null"
console error
 Reporter:  sushmak       |      Owner:  (none)
     Type:  defect (bug)  |     Status:  new
Component:  Themes        |    Version:
 Severity:  normal        |   Keywords:  needs-patch
  Focuses:                |
 I am getting this console error while designing a custom header on my site
 - https://share.getcloudapp.com/Z4u68O9Z

 `primary-navigation.js?ver=1.2:172 Uncaught TypeError: Cannot read
 property 'querySelectorAll' of null`

 This error is from Primary-navigation.js from the Twenty Twenty-One theme.

 I am using an [Elementor](https://wordpress.org/plugins/elementor/) plugin
 to design a custom header.

 I have added a navigation menu in the header and the below error appears
 in the console of my Elementor editor.

 I debugged the issue further and seems like this issue is due to the below
 code in the Twenty Twenty-One theme.

 File Path - `wp-content\themes\twentytwentyone\assets\js\primary-
 navigation.js`
 Line No. - 170
 Code - https://share.getcloudapp.com/jkueN9NK

 In the above code `site-navigation` ID is not present in the navigation
 menu. To fix this we need to add a null check before applying
 queryselectall().