[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #53525: On WP 5.8-beta4-51244 inside toggle block inserter default search text is not visible when in dark mode

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Tue Jun 29 07:06:49 UTC 2021

#53525: On WP 5.8-beta4-51244 inside toggle block inserter default search text is
not visible when in dark mode
-----------------------------+-----------------------------
 Reporter:  alanjacobmathew  |       Owner:  (none)
     Type:  enhancement      |      Status:  new

Comment (by Joen):

 Thank you for the report. The particular property in question,
 `add_theme_support( 'dark-editor-style' );` has a varied history, so just
 for historical purposes and for anyone coming back to this ticket in the
 future, here's a bit of background:

 - Its purpose is to allow the block editor to provide contrastful UI
 against theme backgrounds. For instance if a theme has a dark blue
 background, the blue focus style would not be legible, so the theme could
 declare that it was a "dark theme" and the focus style would be white
 instead.
 - What the property did was output a CSS class, `is-dark-theme`, on the
 body tag, so that the UI of the block editor would be able to invert
 itself and ensure contrast.
 - The actual property has been deprecated and is now fully automated; the
 block editor detects if the theme has a dark background and applies the
 class.
 - Don't confuse the property with the similarly named "dark mode" provided
 by operating systems, it has nothing to do with that.

 Regarding the specific bug, thank you for the steps to reproduce. I've
 tracked it down to a placeholder color property being applied to the block
 editor when it shouldn't have been. The fix and furthe details can be
 found in this PR: https://github.com/WordPress/gutenberg/pull/33058

 I look forward to one day in the future when we can bring actual dark mode
 to WordPress and the block editor using {{{@media (prefers-color-scheme:
 dark)}}}! But for the time being, this was just a copy paste bug!

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/53525#comment:12>