[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #53402: Uniform Hashed User Naming Schema for Cross-Domain Interoperability and Transparency in Aggregate Data

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Sat Jun 26 18:51:35 UTC 2021

#53402: Uniform Hashed User Naming Schema for Cross-Domain Interoperability and
Transparency in Aggregate Data
-------------------------------------------------+-----------------------
 Reporter:  411c3                                |       Owner:  (none)
     Type:  feature request                      |      Status:  reopened

Comment (by Clorith):

 I've got some concerns with this proposal, most notably the over-
 engineering of the login screen, which feels incredibly confusing judging
 by the proposal screenshots, and I'm a fairly technical user, imagine how
 this would look to the average user, which is the vast majority of
 WordPress' userbase?

 This would make it go against one of the core
 (https://wordpress.org/about/philosophy/ philosophies of WordPress),
 "Decisions, not options".

 I'm also not sure how single-signon would benefit a majority of users,
 most WordPress sites are not going to be sites encouraging registrations
 from interested parties, but are standalone sites or services.

 I also do not believe a comparison to Gravatar is appropriate, that being
 a user avatar service for re-using avatars on multiple sites, if you so
 wish, but is not intended for user identification or verification.

 In light of these things, I'd say this feels rather niche, and probably
 fits much better in as a standalone plugin, but am more than happy to hear
 your thoughts on the above remarks, and maybe some more details on what
 sort of problem this solves for the average WordPress user.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/53402#comment:9>