[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #53504: Main site Dashboard accessible via multiple paths in multisite network using sub-directories

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Thu Jun 24 18:20:51 UTC 2021

#53504: Main site Dashboard accessible via multiple paths in multisite network
using sub-directories
--------------------------------+-----------------------------
 Reporter:  daleharrison        |      Owner:  (none)
     Type:  defect (bug)        |     Status:  new
Component:  Networks and Sites  |    Version:  5.7.2
 Severity:  normal              |   Keywords:
  Focuses:  multisite           |
--------------------------------+-----------------------------
 In a multisite network using the sub-directories approach, it is possible
 to access the Dashboard of the main site from any of the following URLs:

 https://example.com/wp-admin/
 https://example.com/any-string/wp-admin/
 https://example.com/another-string/wp-admin/

 I believe the only URL that should be valid is the first one noted above.

 Once on the Dashboard of the main site, you can then navigate to any of
 the admin panels and the path you used will be respected.

 For example, the post editor, Media Library, and General Settings page can
 be accessed using the following URLs:

 https://example.com/any-string/wp-admin/edit.php
 https://example.com/any-string/wp-admin/upload.php
 https://example.com/any-string/wp-admin/options-general.php

 https://example.com/another-string/wp-admin/edit.php
 https://example.com/another-string/wp-admin/upload.php
 https://example.com/another-string/wp-admin/options-general.php

 My hosting environment does not allow me to test if the same happens in a
 network using the sub-domain approach, but I would be curious to know if
 this issue also appears there.