[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #53496: Configuration switch to enable (bring back) direct external preview under main "Preview" button

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Thu Jun 24 07:14:31 UTC 2021

#53496: Configuration switch to enable (bring back) direct external preview under
main "Preview" button
-----------------------------+-----------------------------
 Reporter:  trejder          |      Owner:  (none)
     Type:  feature request  |     Status:  new
Component:  General          |    Version:  trunk
 Severity:  normal           |   Keywords:
  Focuses:                   |
-----------------------------+-----------------------------
 **tl;dr** ''We definitely need a configuration option that will disable
 the "Preview" menu completely and make "Preview" --> "Preview in new tab"
 as default operation. Like in the old days.''

 ----

 I don't know who decided that past few years the "Preview" button will
 change from directly showing preview in an external tab into showing a
 menu, but I can say one thing -- it was a very, very wrong and counter
 productive decision.

 [[Image(https://i.imgur.com/WYw6ZAD.png)]]

 The there modes of "Desktop", "Tablet" and "Mobile" does not work for me
 at all. They shows nothing. They only reduce actual post content width,
 which has nothing to do with how actual page will look like on give
 device, because these pseudo-preview modes does not take into account what
 will the actual theme do with the page. In other words -- I don't use them
 at all, I was forced into clicking Preview -> Preview in new tab about
 million of times since this feature was introduced and I am pretty sure
 that there are thousands, inf not millions of WP user who has the same
 problem.

 Please, respect those of us that doesn't find these "Preview" menu items
 useful and give us a configuration option that will bring the old, years
 long working and good behaviour, where presing "Preview" was all that you
 need in order to actually preview your post.