[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #53475: No error shown on uploading a WebP image when the server doesn't support editing it

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Tue Jun 22 15:50:58 UTC 2021

#53475: No error shown on uploading a WebP image when the server doesn't support
editing it
--------------------------+---------------------
 Reporter:  azaozz        |       Owner:  (none)

Comment (by adamsilverstein):

 > If the original WebP can be displayed, are the subsizes really needed?

 In most cases WordPress outputs a `srcset` attribute for images that
 specifies a specific image file for specific "media breakpoints" - using
 this approach, we serve smaller sized images for smaller screens, and
 larger images for larger screens. The exact cutoffs and number of image
 sizes is typically set by the theme.

 Without the resized images, the page will display the **original image**,
 which is typically **much** larger than what is needed - wasting bandwidth
 and slowing down the page load. In short something you really want to
 avoid!

 Unfortunately most users won't realize what has happened if we don't
 display an error, they will be able to use the image but in a way that
 makes their site slower. These users are better off using jpeg until they
 are on server that supports WebP. They may be able to upload a WebP image,
 but without the server side support for WebP, WordPress doesn't fully
 support using the images, for example cropping the image will also fail on
 these systems!

 > That way the "error" represents what's really happening.

 I changed the error string to "Sorry, this file type is not supported."
 which seems accurate, what do you think?

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/53475#comment:7>