[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #53835: Since WordPress 5.8, Add to gallery from Media Library initial link is broken

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Fri Jul 30 01:38:02 UTC 2021

#53835: Since WordPress 5.8, Add to gallery from Media Library initial link is
broken
--------------------------------+-----------------------------
 Reporter:  chadbush            |      Owner:  (none)
     Type:  defect (bug)        |     Status:  new
Component:  Gallery             |    Version:  5.8
 Severity:  normal              |   Keywords:
  Focuses:  ui, administration  |
--------------------------------+-----------------------------
 I've tested this on a brand-new install of 5.8, with no plugins and the
 default theme. I've also tested on several other sites, and the bug is
 consistent.

 I'm using the current version of Chrome (92.0.4515.107) on current MacOS
 (11.5.1).

 Expected behavior:

 1) Click a Gallery block with images in it. At bottom, click Media Library
 to add a new image to the gallery from the Media Library.
 2) Media Library opens, with the Add to gallery option highlighted at
 upper left and "Add to gallery" as the title of the modal. Only images
 that do not exist in the current gallery are shown.
 3) Click an image to select it, click Add to gallery at lower right, then
 click Update gallery and the image is added to the existing gallery.

 What the bug is doing instead:

 1) Click a Gallery block with images in it. At bottom, click Media Library
 to add a new image to the gallery from the Media Library.
 2) Media Library opens, with the Add to gallery option highlighted at
 upper left and "Add to gallery" as the title of the modal. However, all
 images in the Media Library are shown.
 3) Click an image to select it, click Add to gallery at lower right, and
 all the current images in the gallery are removed. Only the image(s)
 selected are inserted. Click Update Gallery, and the updated gallery
 contains only the images selected from the Add to gallery modal. All other
 images have been removed.

 This has the effect of instantly destroying the gallery, requiring it to
 be rebuilt or restored from backup.

 Workaround that reveals more detail about the nature of the bug:

 Clicking Edit gallery, then clicking Add to gallery again on the upper
 left of the Media Library modal, resolves the issue. This seems to
 indicate that the initial link from the Media Library button at the bottom
 of the Gallery block is the broken piece. It loads the modal for Edit
 gallery instead of Add to gallery, but that modal is labeled as Add to
 gallery. I can use this workaround for my own sites, but I can't expect
 less technically savvy clients to do the same.