[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #53737: Create a way to autogenerate end-to-end test code from manual testing steps for WordPress core

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Fri Jul 23 07:26:29 UTC 2021

#53737: Create a way to autogenerate end-to-end test code from manual testing steps
for WordPress core
------------------------------+------------------------------
 Reporter:  psykro            |       Owner:  (none)
     Type:  enhancement       |      Status:  new

Comment (by youknowriad):

 @hellofromTonya That list seem decent, the most important thing for me is

 > AND tooling that codifies these instructions/workflows (when they are
 ready to be codified)

 For me though, the second point has a very small value

 > AND tooling that codifies these instructions/workflows (when they are
 ready to be codified)

 Of course, I won't stop contributors to explore creative solutions that
 prove me wrong but I think it's important to not put the cart before the
 horse: meaning adding hundreds of e2e autogenerated tests with a big
 potential of flakiness without first having a solid set of qualified e2e
 test developers and build habits around it from core contributors. First
 let's get core contributors familiar with these tests, how to write them
 (which is the simplest part), how to debug them, build instincts around
 solving flakiness...

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/53737#comment:4>