[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #53670: Lazy-load admin functions in the new widgets editor REST API instead of bootstrapping the entire admin on every request

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Fri Jul 16 14:34:54 UTC 2021

#53670: Lazy-load admin functions in the new widgets editor REST API instead of
bootstrapping the entire admin on every request
--------------------------+----------------------
 Reporter:  zieladam      |       Owner:  (none)
     Type:  defect (bug)  |      Status:  closed

Comment (by desrosj):

 Thanks for doing such detailed testing @zieladam!

 That does put my mind at ease a bit about the performance implications.
 Though I do still expect it to be a problem for some sites and hosting
 environments. But those may be edge cases.

 However, performance concern is only one of the concerns I had with
 including `admin.php` within the context of the REST API requests. Once we
 make a change that makes admin related functions available, it becomes
 very difficult to remove.

 As far as I know, administration functions are not available for any other
 blocks used within the block editor. This would result in a mixed
 expectation. Which blocks have these functions available through REST
 requests and which do not?

 The Widgets screen in the admin is also a transition to block-based themes
 fully supporting Full Site Editing. Not making admin functions available
 to widgets in REST requests now will potentially make future transitions
 much smoother.

 I also think that making a change like this when the screen changes to
 being block-based is preferred and is inline with the types of changes
 made when the post editor was transitioned in 5.0.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/53670#comment:5>