[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #52397: The function wp_is_mobile should accept also lower case strings as user agents

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Sat Jan 30 09:28:24 UTC 2021

#52397: The function wp_is_mobile should accept also lower case strings as user
agents
-------------------------------+------------------------------
 Reporter:  giuse              |       Owner:  (none)
     Type:  enhancement        |      Status:  new

Comment (by giuse):

 I opened this thread because W3 Total Cache was giving problem to my
 plugin that uses this function.

 If you save the option related to the User Agent of W3 Total Cache, it
 sanitizes it and it is saved "mobile" instead of "Mobile". I know this is
 something that W3 Total Cache should solve, but my question is: What's the
 problem in adding a strtolower? The performance would be the same, and you
 would prevent issues with other plugins. Moreover, you never know if a
 certain browser uses "mobile" instead of "Mobile". This function would be
 more robust and prevent issues if it wasn't case sensitive.

 I think it would be faster and easier adding strtolower than going ahead
 commenting on this function, we are not speaking about something that is a
 risk for performance or security, but if you don't add strtolower I will
 replace this function with another one in my plugin, so if you don't want
 to add strtolower, I suggest closing this thread.

 Consider that also other plugins may replace this function, this would be
 not good for the WP ecosystem if the reason is only a missing strtolower.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/52397#comment:3>