[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #52361: "Continue Reading" link will only show if there is minimum amount of text before the "Read More" block

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Mon Jan 25 14:18:41 UTC 2021

#52361: "Continue Reading" link will only show if there is minimum amount of text
before the "Read More" block
---------------------------+-----------------------------
 Reporter:  mrfoxtalbot    |      Owner:  (none)
     Type:  defect (bug)   |     Status:  new
Component:  Bundled Theme  |    Version:  5.6
 Severity:  normal         |   Keywords:
  Focuses:                 |
---------------------------+-----------------------------
 ## Description

 Unless there is a certain minimum amount of text before the "Read More"
 block, the "Continue Reading" links will just now show on the public
 site's homepage (set to posts), or archives (I tried category, author and
 date)

 ## Step-by-step reproduction instructions

 1. Create new page or post
 2. Add a paragraph block with just few words (two lines or less)
 3. Add a "Read More" block beneath this short paragraph
 4. Add more content after the "Read More" block

 ## Expected behaviour
  I would expect to see the "Continue Reading" link.

 ## Actual behaviour
 There was no "Continue Reading" link, despite the fact that the post was
 truncated and there was more content.

 ## Screenshots

 When using a 3 or more line paragraph before the "Read More" block (this
 is the expected behaviour):

 When the content before the "Read More" block is too short (no "continue
 reading" link):

 I initially noticed this with a theme called [Healty
 Living](https://wordpress.com/theme/healthy-living) and thought this was
 coming from the "More block" itself, but then I noticed that this was not
 happening with previous bundled themes:

 ## WordPress information
 - WordPress 5.6 running Twenty Twenty-One theme.
 - Gutenberg Version 9.8.1
 - Are all plugins except Gutenberg deactivated? YES
 - Are you using a default theme (e.g. Twenty Twenty-One)? YES

 The error happens both with and without the Gutenberg plugin, as well as
 on WordPress.cmo sites.

 ## Device information
 Desktop
 MacOS 10.13.6