[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #51631: Refactor Layout of the Menu screens to avoid dual-buttons and responsive issues.

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Fri Jan 22 11:29:10 UTC 2021

#51631: Refactor Layout of the Menu screens to avoid dual-buttons and responsive
issues.
 Reporter:  garrett-eclipse          |       Owner:  audrasjb
     Type:  enhancement              |      Status:  accepted
  patch                              |  css, administration
Changes (by sabernhardt):

 * keywords:  has-screenshots has-patch commit => has-screenshots has-patch

Comment:

 Replying to [comment:6 maxpertici]:
 > I understand that keeping the footer button is logical but I find that
 the sticky footer menu "hides" the rest of the menu and the rest of the
 page. It is less obvious that settings are at the bottom like the menu
 locations.

 I might like having a sticky footer, but I've also used this screen often
 and know my options well. It's probably not so friendly to new users.

 Is making the footer sticky enough of a benefit? If it is sticky, the
 `z-index` needs to be more than 10 to stay above the expanded menu items.

 When navigating with the keyboard, the footer can cover the checkboxes,
 even when they are in focus. While the location options can be hidden in
 at least Chrome and Firefox, Chrome tends to scroll down to show them more
 often than Firefox.

 Also, we avoided introducing a breakpoint of 783 pixels in wp-admin last
 year (ticket:49576#comment:26 and ticket:48780#comment:19). On the other
 hand, the block editor uses that breakpoint now.

 I definitely prefer hiding/removing the top button and keeping the bottom
 one, especially in the case of a large menu combined with slow hosting
 and/or connection speed. (Saving a menu before all items load removes the
 unloaded items without a way to revert changes.)

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/51631#comment:11>