[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #51525: Add new functions apply_filters_single_type() and apply_filters_ref_array_single_type()

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Thu Jan 14 14:09:09 UTC 2021

#51525: Add new functions apply_filters_single_type() and
apply_filters_ref_array_single_type()
------------------------------------------+---------------------
 Reporter:  jrf                           |       Owner:  (none)
     Type:  feature request               |      Status:  new

Comment (by hellofromTonya):

 Summarizing discussions during 5.7 Core Scrub:

 From @ jrf:
 >To be fair, the responses so far were IMO too ambitious. We need to learn
 to crawl before we can walk. Take it one step at a time, start with single
 type and have a potential roadmap for the future for making it more
 complex, but we do need to start with this as it will save a lot of
 plugins a world of pain.

 I agree: baby steps. Start small and take one step forward. This approach
 gets us started while giving us the ability to learn and iterate.

 What is the next step?

 From @ jrf:
 >I think we need to have some more people vocalize that one step at a time
 is a good idea and get some visible consensus on that before creating a
 patch.

 ⭐️Next Step Proposal ⭐️

 Baby step approach adding one type at a time. Start with one single type.

 1. Start with single type filtering.
 2. Add a lot of unit tests for this single type.
 3. Then create/update roadmap for the future steps to add more types.
 4. Repeat.

 📣Seeking your feedback 📣

 Do you agree with the one step at a time approach?

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/51525#comment:17>