[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #52218: WordPress Multisite 5.5.3 All Plugins set have Auto-Updates Disabled, but they Updated themselves anyway

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Mon Jan 4 18:44:30 UTC 2021

#52218: WordPress Multisite 5.5.3 All Plugins set have Auto-Updates Disabled, but
they Updated themselves anyway
--------------------------+---------------------------------------------
 Reporter:  wellesleyps   |      Owner:  (none)
     Type:  defect (bug)  |     Status:  new
Component:  General       |    Version:  5.5.3
 Severity:  normal        |   Keywords:  needs-testing reporter-feedback
  Focuses:  multisite     |
--------------------------+---------------------------------------------
 Running a WordPress Multisite Installation on Version 5.5.3 at the time of
 the issue.
 All plugins have Auto-Updates DISABLED (I like to run them only when I
 have time available to troubleshoot in case something goes wrong.)
 However, on December 14, 2020 (coincidentally at the same time as the big
 Google outage) - All 14 of my plugins that had updates available
 automatically updated themselves, even though I had all auto-updates
 disabled. This caused my site to get overloaded and go down, which was a
 big issue since google was also down and made it hard to communicate.

 I have since updated to WordPress 5.6, and run other updates manually
 (core and themes), but I cannot figure out why the plugins auto-updated
 themselves. I suspect it could be a multisite issue. Some plugins are
 network activated and others are only activated on one site. The core and
 themes did NOT auto-update only the plugins updated themselves.

 I am very nervous that it could happen again and cause downtime. I need to
 be able to plan ahead and control the update timing to occur on a slow
 time of day. Not sure if others with multisite installations have
 experienced the same.

 Thanks!