[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #52532: Accessibility improvement request: The add block (plus mark) is missing at the top of the first block and the line isn't clickable so we have to mouse over a tiny 24 pixel square.

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Tue Feb 16 01:16:38 UTC 2021

#52532: Accessibility improvement request: The add block (plus mark) is missing at
the top of the first block and the line isn't clickable so we have to mouse
over a tiny 24 pixel square.
 Reporter:  a4jp.com                             |      Owner:  (none)
     Type:  feature request                      |     Status:  new
                                                 |  Review
Component:  Editor                               |    Version:  5.6.1
 Severity:  major                                |   Keywords:
  Focuses:  ui, accessibility, coding-standards  |
 Can you make
 {{{
 div.block-editor-block-list__insertion-point.is-vertical
 }}}
 clickable and add the insert block option when you mouse over the top of
 the first block please? The add block option is missing now. We have to
 add a block below the first block then move it up everytime instead of
 just adding a block at the top. All the other positions are okay. Just the
 first one is missing.

 I think these two tiny tweaks would make WordPress a lot easier to use and
 improve accessibility.

 The clickable button
 {{{
 button.components-button.block-editor-inserter.toggle.has-icon
 }}}
 is only 24 by 24 pixels in size making it difficult to click. If the line
 was clickable it would easily increase the height of the clickable area to
 28 pixels without any big changes and the width would be the whole line.
 This would finally save us from moving the cursor to that tiny 24 pixel
 spot.

 Thank you for all the other accessibility improvements you have made
 version by version. It is a lot easier to make websites now.