[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #52440: "Leave site? Changes you made may not be saved" on custom taxonomy pages after WP 5.6.1 update

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Mon Feb 8 21:07:31 UTC 2021

#52440: "Leave site? Changes you made may not be saved" on custom taxonomy pages
after WP 5.6.1 update
 Reporter:  archon810                            |       Owner:
                                                 |  SergeyBiryukov
     Type:  defect (bug)                         |      Status:  reopened

Comment (by hwk-fr):

 @archon810

 First, I would not recommend to manually edit `autosave.min.js`. Instead,
 apply the fix to the original `autosave.js` file and enable
 `define('SCRIPT_DEBUG', true)` in the `wp-config.php` file to force
 WordPress to load unminified assets. See
 [https://wordpress.org/support/article/debugging-in-wordpress/ Debugging
 in WordPress].

 Regarding your report, unfortunately you gave us too much little
 information. We won't be able to find the source of your problem without
 being able to reproduce it. I'm not even sure what "Custom Taxonomy Pages"
 means.

 So there's two possible solutions here:

 1. Try to find the problem:
 - Do not use the "Standalone Fix" in `functions.php`
 - Apply the fix to the JS file and use the unminified `autosave.js`
 - Make sure the browser doesn't load a cached version
 - Check the browser console
 - Check the `Page` post type, see how it behave
 - Register a `Test` Custom Post Type, see how it behave
 - If `Page` and `Test` Post Types are working fine, then compare it with
 your "Taxonomy Pages"
 - Check the difference between your "Taxonomy Page" and other working
 Custom Post Types
 - Try to reproduce the "Taxonomy Page" features & specifications on a
 working Custom Post Type. You said you manually add TinyMCE to 5 elements.
 Try to add them one by one, and reach the breaking point
 - If you can't reach the breaking point, try to disable plugins/theme one
 by one
 - Try to install a fresh WP install with the native theme
 - Once you reach the breaking point, investigate it

 2. Let us help you:
 - Explain us what do you mean by "Custom Taxonomy Pages"
 - Explain and show us what do you mean by "Add TinyMCE to 5 elements"
 - Did you use a plugin or a custom code?
 - Show us screenshots of the UI, browser console etc... Others devs may
 see clues you don't see
 - Show us some code which would let us reproduce the problem (custom code,
 custom enqueue)
 - Ideally share a step-by-step guide or a standalone code so anyone can
 reproduce the problem easily (Just like I did with the `functions.php`
 code for the fix)

 You probably know your own website/code very well, but we don't. We can't
 just look at the `autosave.js` file and say "Oh yeah, here is the
 problem", because the cause can come from anywhere, especially in an
 environment where external code may interfere (plugins/themes). In the
 end, I would say: help us to help you.

 Regards.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/52440#comment:46>