[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #53658: Display a user-facing message when the application passwords functionality is not available

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Fri Dec 17 10:56:14 UTC 2021

#53658: Display a user-facing message when the application passwords functionality
is not available
---------------------------------------------+-----------------------------
 Reporter:  johnbillion                      |       Owner:  johnbillion
     Type:  defect (bug)                     |      Status:  reopened
Changes (by david.binda):

 * status:  closed => reopened
 * resolution:  fixed =>

Comment:

 Testing the 5.9 beta version, I have noticed the new message about missing
 HTTPS support and development environment setup being displayed on a
 production site with HTTPS support enabled.

 It was due to `__return_false` hooked to
 `wp_is_application_passwords_available` filter (but can be reproduced even
 by hooking `wp_is_application_passwords_available_for_user` filter).

 Seeing a message suggesting that HTTPS is not enabled while accessing wp-
 admin via https, and suggestions on how to setup my development
 environment while checking production site, might feel confusing, at
 least.

 In my humble opinion, the new message on missing support for the
 application passwords should be more finely targeted. Possibly by
 performing the same checks as `wp_is_application_passwords_available` is
 doing ( `$available = is_ssl() || 'local' === wp_get_environment_type();`
 ), just without additional filters.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/53658#comment:11>