[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #44610: Allow Youtube-Player to use youtube-nocookie.com URLS to avoid setting cookies.

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Thu Dec 9 22:33:30 UTC 2021

#44610: Allow Youtube-Player to use youtube-nocookie.com URLS to avoid setting
cookies.
 Reporter:  jepperask                            |       Owner:
                                                 |  williampatton
     Type:  enhancement                          |      Status:  assigned
  note close                                     |

Comment (by BjornW):

 Perhaps we can learn something from how other opensource projects? For
 instance this is [https://gohugo.io/about/hugo-and-gdpr/#youtube Hugo's
 documentation on GDPR and YouTube.] In it the authors explain how to setup
 Hugo's settings to adhere to the GDPR.

 As far as I know this is currently not possible by a WordPress site-owner
 without having to build a custom solution using filters and actions (in so
 far as these are available).

 The current YouTube embed would be perfect for this to iterate on. Why not
 limit ourselves (for now) to building this setting specifically for
 YouTube first into the Privacy Settings. Keep the url the same (tracking
 url) for current installs while new installs will use the 'no-cookie' url.
 Roll out and test this with more people. Depending on the result we can
 either remove it, change it or extend it to other embeds. If needed &
 possible it could be a tiny Beta plugin (like Gutenberg once was) shipped
 with WordPress to test the waters?

 I'm willing to spend more time on this, but not without some support from
 one or more core committers so this issue can get the attention it
 deserves. Any core committers willing to support this?

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/44610#comment:54>