[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #48689: PHP warnings after updating to WP 5.3: ftp_nlist() and ftp_pwd() expect missing parameters

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Mon Dec 6 22:11:28 UTC 2021

#48689: PHP warnings after updating to WP 5.3: ftp_nlist() and ftp_pwd() expect
missing parameters
------------------------------+-----------------------
 Reporter:  Hinjiriyo         |       Owner:  (none)
     Type:  defect (bug)      |      Status:  reopened
Changes (by adamsilverstein):

 * keywords:  needs-patch => needs-patch php8
 * status:  closed => reopened
 * resolution:  invalid =>

Comment:

 I don't think this is purely plugin related. I can reproduce this on my
 local when visiting the Site Health screen, **with no plugins active**.

 In my case, the web server user is not the owner of the site files and
 thus WordPress will attempt to use ftp if I try a plugin update for
 example and apparently on the Site Health screen as well. Fixing the file
 ownership issue made the problem go away for me.

 Worth noting this is a fatal in PHP 8+.

 This [https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/48689#comment:8 description]
 seems to identify the underlying issue.

--