[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #54021: Auto-update (plugin/theme) needs option to restrict to point or patch release

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Fri Aug 27 04:11:18 UTC 2021

#54021: Auto-update (plugin/theme) needs option to restrict to point or patch
release
 Reporter:  jqz          |       Owner:  (none)
     Type:  enhancement  |      Status:  new
                         |  standards
Changes (by jqz):

 * focuses:  docs, administration, coding-standards => ui, docs,
     administration, coding-standards

Comment:

 Replying to [comment:2 jqz]:
 > Replying to [comment:1 desrosj]:
 > > The plugins and themes in the directories are not required to follow
 any specific versioning practices, so version numbers vary wildly.

 > This does not matter, because, with my suggestion, the update policy can
 be set per theme/plugin by the website administrator based on their
 knowledge of how that particular theme/plugin uses versioning.

 Moreover, because plugin/theme "version numbers vary wildly" is why a more
 flexible finer-grained webadmin-controlled approach to automatic updates
 is needed, IMO :)

 [Adding UI as focus but really mean UX from webadmin POV.]

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/54021#comment:4>