[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #54021: Auto-update (plugin/theme) needs option to restrict to point or patch release

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Fri Aug 27 01:59:26 UTC 2021

#54021: Auto-update (plugin/theme) needs option to restrict to point or patch
release
-----------------------------+------------------------------
 Reporter:  jqz              |       Owner:  (none)
     Type:  enhancement      |      Status:  new
Changes (by desrosj):

 * keywords:   => close
 * focuses:  administration, coding-standards =>

Comment:

 This seems like a duplicate of #40663.

 Unfortunately this would be nearly impossible to implement. The plugins
 and themes in the directories are not required to follow any specific
 versioning practices, so version numbers vary wildly.

 Some plugins do follow semantic versioning, but most do not. Some even use
 `1.2.3.4` versions.

 I'm going to suggest that this is closed. Please feel free to add more
 details if you feel anything I have stated or referenced is incorrect.

 Related: [https://meta.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/3236 Meta-trac-3236],
 #42376, #43495 (for Core).

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/54021#comment:1>