[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #39089: Setting the Object Relationship Between Post Type Objects and Taxonomy Objects

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Tue Aug 24 06:01:39 UTC 2021

#39089: Setting the Object Relationship Between Post Type Objects and Taxonomy
Objects
------------------------------------------------+--------------------------
 Reporter:  michael.ecklund                     |       Owner:  (none)
     Type:  enhancement                         |      Status:  new
Changes (by peterwilsoncc):

 * keywords:   => needs-patch needs-unit-tests early
 * version:  4.6.1 => 2.9

Comment:

 Hi @michaelecklund

 I'm sorry for the delay replying to your ticket, it was
 [https://wordpress.slack.com/archives/C02RQBWTW/p1629783070107000
 discussed in a triage session] a short time ago.

 I'm not sure there is a best answer for whether registering taxonomies or
 post types is best done first.

 If I understand correctly, this is the core of your enhancement request:

 > Could [post and taxonomy relationships] happen automatically? So that no
 matter which object you’re dealing with, upon inspection, the relationship
 is clear.

 ... and that this would happen no matter how the relationship was
 registered (via post types, or via taxonomies).

 I think this makes sense but would need to have some robust unit tests as
 it seems like something that could lead to infinite loops if it contained
 any bugs.

 I've set the version to 2.9 as that's when CPTs were introduced.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/39089#comment:2>