[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #53952: Reusable blocks - removing from a page treated as an edit of the re-usable block

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Wed Aug 18 13:06:35 UTC 2021

#53952: Reusable blocks - removing from a page treated as an edit of the re-usable
block
 Reporter:  jonnie45      |      Owner:  (none)
     Type:  defect (bug)  |     Status:  new
Component:  General       |    Version:
 Severity:  critical      |   Keywords:
  Focuses:                |
 Hi - if you can reproduce this then I suggest it is a very high priority
 as it makes re-usable blocks almost useless and frustrating beyond belief.

 If a re-usable block is added to a page then expectations are that an edit
 to that instance will be reflected in the 'master' and any other
 instances.

 However if I add an instance of a re-usable block to a page and then
 change my mind and use the (html) block editor and choose option delete
 block I would expect only the instance to be affected - I am not editing
 (modifying) the instance I am simply removing the instance completely -
 simple reversal of decision to add an instance of that reusable block ( or
 so I thought .... )

 However the behaviour now observed is that removing an instance is treated
 identically to the behaviour I would expect if I deleted all of the text
 (html) within the instance - in other words clear contents of re-usable
 block leaving an empty re-usable block apart from keeping it's title.

 The new behaviour is therefore that when I delete the instance of the re-
 usable block then the 'master' and all instances now have zero content.

 If I edit the 'master' and restore the contents then all instances are
 restored.

 The fault is therefore that block deletion is treated as delete contents
 of block rather than remove instance from page which has profound and
 unexpected consequences for any poor person who is simply trying to remove
 an instance by deleting the instance block.

 I now have copies of all my re-usable blocks name "backup-......" so that
 I can restore my reusable blocks when I encounter this problem which is of
 course every single time I change my mind and want to remove an instance.

 Again if you can reproduce please treat as critical - it is unbelievably
 disruptive and renders very useful functionality almost more trouble than
 it's worth.