[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #53069: Consider implications of FLoC and any actions to be taken on the provider (WordPress) front

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Thu Apr 22 19:11:19 UTC 2021

#53069: Consider implications of FLoC and any actions to be taken on the provider
(WordPress) front
----------------------------+----------------------
 Reporter:  helen           |       Owner:  (none)
     Type:  task (blessed)  |      Status:  new

Comment (by vimes1984):

 As per this:

 {{{When making decisions these are the users we consider first. A great
 example of this consideration is software options. Every time you give a
 user an option, you are asking them to make a decision. When a user
 doesn’t care or understand the option this ultimately leads to
 frustration. As developers we sometimes feel that providing options for
 everything is a good thing, you can never have too many choices, right?
 Ultimately these choices end up being technical ones, choices that the
 average end user has no interest in. It’s our duty as developers to make
 smart design decisions and avoid putting the weight of technical choices
 on our end users.}}}
 from here: https://wordpress.org/about/philosophy/
 \\
 I'd agree with Robin here this isn't a technical decision it's a question
 of privacy, so by offering an option we aren't "putting the weight of
 technical choices on our end users" we ARE and should put the weight of
 privacy choices on our end users though... Whether we choose to opt-in OR
 opt-out is a different discussion but the user SHOULD be made aware this
 isn't a technical decision. How that option then represents it's self is a
 technical decision we shouldn't be asking them, do you want to opt out via
 Javascript or HTTP headers....
 \\
 But I'd strongly advocate for giving the user the ability to opt in or out
 on the end user not us...

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/53069#comment:7>