[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #51124: Can we get an additional parameter in wp_add_inline_script to set the script type?

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Fri Sep 25 16:04:35 UTC 2020

#51124: Can we get an additional parameter in wp_add_inline_script to set the
script type?
----------------------------------------+------------------------------
 Reporter:  hcabrera                    |       Owner:  (none)
     Type:  feature request             |      Status:  new
Changes (by Otto42):

 * keywords:   => good-first-bug needs-patch

Comment:

 +1

 This is a good idea. Additionally, the script tag can also be used for
 adding structured data using type="application/ld+json".

 See here for more information:
 https://developers.google.com/search/docs/guides/intro-structured-data

 Also, given that the text/javascript is the default for scripts, having
 type="text/javascript" there is not needed, and the latest W3 validation
 tool actually returns a warning for it with "The type attribute is
 unnecessary for JavaScript resources."

 So it might be worth removing that default as well, and allowing for
 registered scripts to change the type via some data attached to the
 handle. Then only output the type attribute when it's explicitly set by
 the code.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/51124#comment:1>