[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #51274: Inaccurate string - discouraging search engines does not prevent them from crawling your site.

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Wed Sep 9 15:06:55 UTC 2020

#51274: Inaccurate string - discouraging search engines does not prevent them from
crawling your site.
 Reporter:  carike                               |      Owner:  (none)
     Type:  defect (bug)                         |     Status:  new
                                                 |  Review
Component:  Administration                       |    Version:
 Severity:  normal                               |   Keywords:
  Focuses:  ui, administration, privacy, ui-     |
  copy                                           |
 I noticed the following string while reviewing the fuzzy strings for 5.5.
 I am not entirely sure where it comes from.

 {{{
 When this setting is in effect, a reminder is shown in the
 At a Glance box of the Dashboard that says,
 “Search engines discouraged,”
 to remind you that your site is not being crawled.
 }}}

 This creates the impression that the site won't be crawled, which is not
 the case.
 We could use something like this instead:

 {{{
 When this setting is in effect, a reminder is shown
 in the At a Glance box of the Dashboard that says,
 “Search engines discouraged,”
 to remind you that you have instructed search engines to not crawl your
 site.
 It is important to note that search engines can (and some do!)
 disobey this directive, although most reputable search engines
 will adhere to the instruction.
 }}}

 I realize that this is longer, we should make sure that we don't misinform
 people about their risk profiles, or inadvertently spread misinformation.