[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #41008: WP_Error wrote instead of category name in wp_options table, category_base field

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Tue Sep 8 05:59:40 UTC 2020

#41008: WP_Error wrote instead of category name in wp_options table, category_base
field
 Reporter:  Neilgaiman    |       Owner:  (none)
Changes (by mikeschroder):

 * component:  General => Permalinks

Old description:

> I just installed Wordpress 4.8, yet I'm not sure it's a bug specific of
> this version or not.
>
> The issue is documented in the following post:
>
> http://www.ryadel.com/en/catchable-fatal-error-object-of-class-wp_error-
> could-not-be-converted-to-string-wordpress-fix/
>
> Long story short, it seems that sometimes (when some errors occurs, in my
> scenario was a I/O error) the category_base value of the wp_options table
> gets filled with a WP_Error json object instead of a category name. This
> raises an exception in the rewrite.php script (line 326) when the
> function tries to use that value against a regex, expecting a string.
>
> Sadly enough, it doesn't seem easy to reproduce.

New description:

 I just installed WordPress 4.8, yet I'm not sure it's a bug specific of
 this version or not.

 The issue is documented in the following post:

 http://www.ryadel.com/en/catchable-fatal-error-object-of-class-wp_error-
 could-not-be-converted-to-string-wordpress-fix/

 Long story short, it seems that sometimes (when some errors occurs, in my
 scenario was a I/O error) the category_base value of the wp_options table
 gets filled with a WP_Error json object instead of a category name. This
 raises an exception in the rewrite.php script (line 326) when the function
 tries to use that value against a regex, expecting a string.

 Sadly enough, it doesn't seem easy to reproduce.

 Hi, and thanks much for the very detailed report.

 I'm sorry it has taken this long for a reply to your ticket.

 It was brought up in triage today, and while we weren't able to reproduce
 it during triage, I'm moving it to the permalinks component so that it can
 be checked by the most appropriate folks.

 Thanks again!

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/41008#comment:3>