[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #51231: prepare_attributes_for_render should pass $attribute_name to rest_validate_value_from_schema

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Thu Sep 3 13:12:52 UTC 2020

#51231: prepare_attributes_for_render should pass $attribute_name to
rest_validate_value_from_schema
 Reporter:  bobbingwide   |      Owner:  (none)
     Type:  defect (bug)  |     Status:  new
Component:  Editor        |    Version:  5.5
 Severity:  minor         |   Keywords:
  Focuses:                |
 I accidentally discovered an error in my code where the attribute type for
 a server side rendered block was set to 'string ' -  with an unexpected
 trailing space before the closing quote.

 The doing_it_wrong message didn't tell me the name of the attribute that
 was in error.
 {{{
 Notice: rest_validate_value_from_schema was called incorrectly.
 The "type" schema keyword for can only be one of the built-in types:
 array, object, string, number, integer, boolean and null.
 Please see Debugging in WordPress for more information.
 (This message was added in version 5.5.0.)
 in C:\apache\htdocs\oikcom\wp-includes\functions.php on line 5225
 }}}

 Had it said:
 {{{
 The "type" schema keyword for until can only be one of the built-in types:
 }}}

 then I might have found the problem a bit quicker.

 The fix would be to `change prepare_attributes_for_render` to pass the
 `$attribute_name` as the third parameter to
 `rest_validate_value_from_schema`.

 {{{
 $is_valid = rest_validate_value_from_schema( $value, $schema ,
 $attribute_name );
 }}}

 Also correct the spelling of `vebatim` - to `verbatim`.