[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #51656: add_theme_support() for 'wp-dark-theme' so plugins can use consistent CSS for dark themes

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Wed Oct 28 19:33:56 UTC 2020

#51656: add_theme_support() for 'wp-dark-theme' so plugins can use consistent CSS
for dark themes
-------------------------+------------------------------
 Reporter:  mpol         |       Owner:  (none)
     Type:  enhancement  |      Status:  new

Comment (by mpol):

 This ticket and patch are mostly aimed at being able to support dark
 themes that are only dark theme. I can imagine themes with custom colors
 can be supported by checking for a dark background, like you propose. That
 might be iterated on I might think.

 And yes, it can tie in with that other ticket #50051 about dark mode. If
 the browser requests it, the theme switches to dark mode, and adds theme
 support. This ticket is about that last step then, which then also
 communicates to plugins that it is a dark theme through the body-class.
 That way by simply targeting that body-class, plugins are consistent with
 the dark theme and the dark mode.

 I am not familiar with the Gutenberg Editor and could not find anything
 specific on that link you provided.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/51656#comment:2>