[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #49319: Admin triggered download of personal data export give notice of user sent link which is invalid

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Thu Oct 22 01:12:17 UTC 2020

#49319: Admin triggered download of personal data export give notice of user sent
link which is invalid
 Reporter:  garrett-eclipse          |       Owner:  garrett-eclipse
     Type:  defect (bug)             |      Status:  accepted
  screenshots has-copy-review        |  ui-copy
  commit needs-testing               |
Changes (by garrett-eclipse):

 * keywords:  has-patch needs-testing has-screenshots has-copy-review =>
     has-patch has-screenshots has-copy-review commit needs-testing

Comment:

 Thanks very much for the feedback @bridgetwillard and for sparking a
 lively discussion in core. Until the team finalizes WP's specific
 guidelines I think we should look to Google developer documentation style
 guide for this one;
 https://developers.google.com/style/voice

 Specifically this exception;
 > To emphasize an object over an action.
 > **Recommended**: The file is saved.

 As the 'personal data export file' is the object we're emphasizing here I
 feel we go with what we have which make that the focus.

 This also aligns with the string this new one is based off of;
 `'The personal data export link for this user was sent.'`

 Once WP settles on voice I'm sure we'll revisit the entire interface and
 these strings among them.

 One further improvement I was going to make but feel is more an
 enhancement, as it requires updates to function signatures, is replacing
 `this user` with the users actual email. When I went to create a ticket I
 found we have #47491 which already has this suggestion as it will move the
 notice out of the row to it's normal position so there'll be more of a
 need to correlate which notice is for which request.

 This is ready for commit in my eyes.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/49319#comment:7>