[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #50748: Fatal error on Site Health screen: "Please don't turn CURLOPT_SSL_VERIFYHOST off"

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Wed Oct 7 20:05:06 UTC 2020

#50748: Fatal error on Site Health screen: "Please don't turn
CURLOPT_SSL_VERIFYHOST off"
 Reporter:  lxjtian       |       Owner:  (none)
Changes (by Clorith):

 * keywords:  PHP74 => close

Comment:

 Hiya, and welcome to the WordPress trac!

 It looks like you've got some kind of security rules in place that do not
 allow applications to disable SSL verification on remote requests. There's
 not much we can do about this, unfortunately, although you could use the
 `https_local_ssl_verify` filter and return `true` on it (quickly done with
 `add_filter( 'https_local_ssl_verify', '__return_true' );`)

 You will find that the same code is used when doing a loopback check, and
 when editing plugin or theme files. The reason it disables ssl
 verification is that it is connecting to it self (the same site), which
 can in some cases cause ssl certs to incorrectly be read as invalid.

 as there's not much we can do about this, I'm going to suggest we close
 this ticket, but I'll leave it open for your input, as you may know more
 about the security rules you are using here.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/50748#comment:3>