[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #47058: Site Health: does not distinguish between production / staging / development sites

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Mon Oct 5 20:19:01 UTC 2020

#47058: Site Health: does not distinguish between production / staging /
development sites
-------------------------------------+-----------------------------
 Reporter:  DavidAnderson            |       Owner:  SergeyBiryukov
     Type:  enhancement              |      Status:  reviewing
Changes (by Clorith):

 * keywords:  has-patch needs-testing => has-patch needs-refresh

Comment:

 I like the idea of a function to check if it's a dev environment, to
 determine if certain checks should run, so I'd love to keep that, and the
 check it performs makes sense to me as well.

 I do want to keep the warning from @knutsp in mind as well, that we should
 be careful about what we do and don't change based on environments, and
 which environments. With that in mind, I think we should start by
 replacing the `localhost` checks with the environment checks, which should
 be more reliable in that scenario.

 I also think it's reasonable to not call `WP_DEBUG` being enabled as
 critical on a dev/localhost setup, as it's expected to be on there for
 most users, I would still like to keep the `DEBUG_LOG` check as is though,
 because sensitive information may still end up in a public file when that
 is enabled (I know I will happily use `error_log()` to write debug data to
 the file, over displaying it publicly when doing some deep-dive debugging,
 because I know I'm in control of the moment, but everyone might not be).

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/47058#comment:19>