[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #51823: Native auto updater caused plugin update to fail and disappears plugin from directory

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Thu Nov 19 07:07:01 UTC 2020

#51823: Native auto updater caused plugin update to fail and disappears plugin from
directory
------------------------------+-----------------------------
 Reporter:  richards1052      |      Owner:  (none)
     Type:  defect (bug)      |     Status:  new
Component:  General           |    Version:  5.6
 Severity:  major             |   Keywords:
  Focuses:  coding-standards  |
------------------------------+-----------------------------
 Have a strange experience with the new native auto updater feature.  I've
 enabled it for most of my plugins including Mailpoet and Yoast.  Both
 plugins shipped an update on the same day.  But when auto updater tried to
 update them not only was there a fatal error, but both plugins disappeared
 from my directory.

 I manually reinstalled them both.  But I've never seen plugins entirely
 disappear like this.  So I'd like to address this to whatever team is
 responsible for the auto updater.

 Here is a message from my web host which offers some documentation of some
 of the errors:

   about the error lines, there are thousands of these lines at 16:05

   [17-Nov-2020 16:05:10 UTC] PHP Warning: chmod(): No such file or
 directory in XX/public_h
 tml/wp-admin/includes/class-wp-filesystem-direct.php on line 173

   I think "chmod()" is called on the update process, but the files
 vanished between the time they were listed and the time some actions were
 made on them

   right after there's also:

   [17-Nov-2020 16:05:20 UTC] PHP Fatal error: Uncaught Error: Class
 'MailPoetVendor\Doctrine\DBAL\Types\BooleanType' not found in
 XX/public_html/wp-content/plugins/mailpoet/vendor-
 prefixed/doctrine/dbal/lib/Doctrine/DBAL/Types/Type.php:2

   So some files were really missing during the upgrade

   The bug is probably related to the WP updater rather than those plugins:
 i looked at the SQL backup from the 17 morning, and i saw the auto_updater
 call was scheduled for 16:04:52

   First time we've seen this issue so far.. And i'm not seeing any bug
 report on the WP trac about it.

   I'd report it to them but we have too little information to share

   I have a question: are auto updates still enabled in jetpack settings (i
 think it's from wp.com which i cannot see)?
   Because i see a query from jetpack server during the auto-upgrade from
 WP. So there are chances they both tried to upgrade:

   [17/Nov/2020:16:04:57 +0000] "POST /wp-
 cron.php?doing_wp_cron=1605629097.3026950359344482421875

   WP cron starts the auto update

   [17/Nov/2020:16:05:07 +0000] "GET /2013/10/15/iran-hacks-azerbaijans-
 israeli-made-drone-fleet/?relatedposts=1&highlight=drones HTTP/1.1" 503

   Google visits a page but gets a 503 code because the upgrade is still
 running

   [17/Nov/2020:16:05:00 +0000] "POST /xmlrpc.php?for=jetpack&[...]

   Jetpack makes a very long call, which finishes after the google visit
 (logged after but started 16:05:00), and took 11s to process, there are
 chances it also tried to upgrade. But that's just a possibility.

   I have really no idea how both of them work together and if they share
 the same update data. It's possible that jetpack takes over and that it's
 an issue with it.