[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #35561: function wp_admin_canonical_url() not using configured site url when constructing canonical url link tag

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Fri Nov 13 02:44:37 UTC 2020

#35561: function wp_admin_canonical_url() not using configured site url when
constructing canonical url link tag
--------------------------------------------+------------------------------
 Reporter:  ilude                           |       Owner:  (none)
     Type:  defect (bug)                    |      Status:  new
Changes (by danychen):

 * keywords:  reporter-feedback => reporter-feedback dev-feedback

Comment:

 I have this problem too, the thing is that if you use reverse proxy, you
 got let the REQUEST_URI contain the **prefix** for admin to work. which
 makes deploy a bit inconvenient, mostly you cloud add an addition dir for
 the path to be correct.

 In nginx you can do:
 {{{
 location /blog {
   alias /Users/dany/Projects/blog;
   try_files $uri $uri/ /index.php$is_args$args;
   location ~* "\.php$" {
     fastcgi_pass   unix:/Users/dany/.phpbrew/php/php-7.0.33/var/run/php-
 fpm.sock;
     fastcgi_index  index.php;
     fastcgi_param  SCRIPT_FILENAME $request_filename;
     include        fastcgi_params;
   }
 }
 }}}

 which makes you REQUEST_URI to be the full url, but the actual script is
 not in blog dir.

 In docker it's a bit easier to just include additional path for the
 prefix, such as -v ./src:/var/www/html/blog

 you can control it to work, but if you don't have control over the blog,
 then reverse proxy just don't work on admin unless use some sort of way
 the manipulate the REQUEST_URI.

 == Conclusion:

 **I think the Point is that why admin and front end have different
 behavior for how url is constructed**, we can make configs that make it to
 work provided that we have control over the wordpress deployment.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/35561#comment:9>