[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #51742: Core auto-updates UI: disable checkbox when filter or constant takes precedent on the option

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Thu Nov 12 22:51:48 UTC 2020

#51742: Core auto-updates UI: disable checkbox when filter or constant takes
precedent on the option
----------------------------------------------+-----------------------
 Reporter:  audrasjb                          |       Owner:  audrasjb
     Type:  defect (bug)                      |      Status:  reopened
Changes (by helen):

 * status:  closed => reopened
 * resolution:  fixed =>

Comment:

 [49587] gives us something like https://share.getcloudapp.com/v1uxXNpm
 (note that there are a ton of possible UIs for this screen that need
 screenshot documentation). Reopening because I would like to do the
 following before RC:

 * Add an additional prompt link in the `An updated version of WordPress is
 available.` section. Note that I've changed the string there from `You can
 update ... automatically` string to say `You can update ... manually` to
 reflect that you are clicking the button, not doing something with
 automatic updates. Per my other comment, I think this could say something
 like `You can also <a>enable automatic updates for all versions of
 WordPress</a> from now on.`.
 * Potentially abstract the logic around getting the autoupdate settings
 into its own function, as the above will also need that information, and
 this whole file is very messy with functions and procedural PHP so it's a
 bit hard to trace what's going on.
 * Consider adding a string for when major auto-updates are on but minor
 ones are off - IMO this is a strange and non-ideal thing to do, but is
 technically possible so the informational part should probably reflect
 that. I really don't like referring to these as "major" or "feature"
 updates in user-facing strings but we probably can't avoid that entirely
 here. Because it is only possible to turn off minor updates via code and I
 consider this to be a non-ideal state, we do not need an action link.

 For the last item, this technically boils down to changing `if (
 $upgrade_major )` to `if ( $upgrade_major && $upgrade_minor )` and then
 adding an additional `elseif ( $upgrade_major )` with whatever we think
 the right string is for only updating to new major/feature versions.

 In 5.7, I would like to tackle further UI updates to the updates screen in
 #51540 (in particular condensing the button overload) and take a look at
 also adding another way to manage these settings in general or similar.
 There are some other potential 5.7 items on
 https://make.wordpress.org/core/2020/11/10/wp5-6-auto-update-
 implementation-change/

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/51742#comment:38>