[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #51603: Define specific versions of Node in the .nvmrc file for the 5.0-5.5 branches (was: Define specific versions of Node in the .nvmrc file for the 5.0-5.3 branches)

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Wed Nov 11 13:36:18 UTC 2020

#51603: Define specific versions of Node in the .nvmrc file for the 5.0-5.5
branches
------------------------------+-----------------------
 Reporter:  desrosj           |       Owner:  desrosj
     Type:  task (blessed)    |      Status:  assigned

Comment (by desrosj):

 @netweb Thanks for this! That sounds good to me. I plan to step back after
 5.6 and take a wider inventory of NodeJS in branches 3.7+ and trunk and
 come up with a plan of action. NodeJS < 6 is also a blocker for
 backporting the local Docker environment back to 3.7-4.5 as the needed
 packages do not support those versions. I think we can do that in a
 separate ticket.

 For the time being, I am thinking that the `.nvmrc` file should be updated
 when a new version is branched. So when 5.6 is branched, the 5.5 branch
 becomes "unmaintained" except for security releases, so the `.nvmrc` file
 should be changed to specify a specific version of NPM to ensure anyone
 working with that branch is able to build without having to perform
 archaeology.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/51603#comment:16>