[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #51742: Core auto-updates UI: disable checkbox when filter or constant takes precedent on the option

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Wed Nov 11 12:22:59 UTC 2020

#51742: Core auto-updates UI: disable checkbox when filter or constant takes
precedent on the option
 Reporter:  audrasjb                             |       Owner:  audrasjb
     Type:  defect (bug)                         |      Status:  accepted
  copy-review needs-design-feedback dev-         |
  feedback needs-refresh                         |

Comment (by karmatosed):

 This is already looking a lot better I think from a position and format
 view. Thanks for the rapid work. I think it's also really important to see
 this as a step to iterate from, over being set in stone for coming up
 versions.

 The big thing right now for me to work on for this release is copy.
 There's an opportunity here to avoid the confusion and sea of content that
 we are adding to with this. I would like therefore some consideration
 before strings go in to a few areas:

 - Concise, exact language: how space can we be, but still clear?
 - Clarity for translation: let's be aware this is going to be translated
 and consider that for understanding.
 - Warmth: how can we ease any feeling around this feature in the copy?
 - Balance: whilst we want to encourage this feature, we want it to be
 natural to use and trusted, not feel a big deal. Copy can help there with
 tone.

 By reducing the interface to a link, the weight has been taken from it, so
 now we can turn to the text being delivered itself.

 A few specific things I think need changing are:

 - Length of linked text: I see in one screenshot a link that is over 8
 words long, let's try and avoid that.
 - Consider opening words like inviting, is this too formal? It might not
 be, but let's consider the tone of the messaging here.
 - Potentially use more spacing between messages and group them. I am not
 sure when we have 4 lines of text in row we can't also just have some
 extra white space. This could give breathing room in a sea of text as per
 the mockups around this feature, I'd love to see that come to this a
 little.

 Perhaps as it's important, writing out each potential message strings is
 useful to then iterate collectively in this ticket?

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/51742#comment:22>