[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #51698: Consider to provide a hook to allow developers to hide the auto-updates UI for Core major versions

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Tue Nov 3 00:10:02 UTC 2020

#51698: Consider to provide a hook to allow developers to hide the auto-updates UI
for Core major versions
-----------------------------+-------------------------
 Reporter:  audrasjb         |      Owner:  audrasjb
     Type:  defect (bug)     |     Status:  assigned
Component:  Upgrade/Install  |    Version:  trunk
 Severity:  normal           |   Keywords:  2nd-opinion
  Focuses:                   |
-----------------------------+-------------------------
 Just like we did for plugins and themes.

 Not sure we'll want to fully remove the section or to only disable the
 checkbox. I'd personally vote for removing the entire section. I guess we
 don't want to display something that is not actionable.

 What would be the best name for this filter?

 As we already have `plugins_auto_update_enabled` and
 `themes_auto_update_enabled` for plugins and themes, we could use
 `core_major_auto_update_enabled` new filter.

 But we can also discuss the opportunity to use the existing
 `allow_major_auto_core_updates` filter but I do think we need a different
 hook: this one is for enabling/disabling the updates, not the interface.

 I believe it would be better to introduce a brand new filter for disabling
 the core auto-updates section on `update-core.php`. Maybe something like
 `display_core_auto_updates_ui` or similar.

 Any thought?