[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #51691: Call get_template_directory() once instead of multiple times for loading theme's files (performance boost)

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Mon Nov 2 03:20:44 UTC 2020

#51691: Call get_template_directory() once instead of multiple times for loading
theme's files (performance boost)
----------------------------+------------------------------
 Reporter:  hellofromTonya  |       Owner:  (none)
     Type:  enhancement     |      Status:  new

Comment (by SergeyBiryukov):

 Replying to [ticket:51691 hellofromTonya]:
 > ''Each time'' `get_template_directory()` runs, ''multiple'' other
 functions and filters also run including these 5 hooks:

 > - `pre_option_template`
 > - `alloptions`
 > - `option_template`
 > - `theme_root`
 > - `template_directory`

 If any of these have specific performance concerns, I think a better way
 forward for this ticket might be to explore adding some object caching or
 static variables to minimize the overhead.

 I think a theme should be able to call `get_template_directory()` multiple
 times without a noticeable performance impact. So I would go with the
 final option here:
 > Another way:
 > - Implement within Core
 >
 > The overall goal is to improve performance by reducing memory, CPU
 cycles, and processing time.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/51691#comment:11>