[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #50250: In WordPress 5x, Image uploads frequently fail, and do so with a spurious error message

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Wed May 27 22:31:33 UTC 2020

#50250: In WordPress 5x, Image uploads frequently fail, and do so with a spurious
error message
-----------------------------+------------------------------
 Reporter:  toomanyairmiles  |       Owner:  (none)
     Type:  defect (bug)     |      Status:  new

Comment (by toomanyairmiles):

 There appears to be another similar bug in which results in the message
 below, which I have again been battling away with all day which is
 specific to video media, in this case a 3.7Mb webm video.

 'Unexpected response from the server. The file may have been uploaded
 successfully. Check in the Media Library or reload the page.'

 The issue is max execution time, if I set the max-execution-time in
 user.ini to a lunatic number, say 100000 the issue with uploading videos
 goes away. Similarly, the issue with photos also goes away.

 As I understand it the default for this setting in php is 30 seconds, my
 sites use a default of 5 seconds (which is fairly standard/reasonable).

 memory_limit = 256M
 upload_max_filesize = 64M
 post_max_size = 64M
 max_execution_time = 5000

 I host 40 odd wordpresses and this issue has been occurring with
 frustrating frequency since the 5x release, and I am finding it occurs on
 brand-new sites with default themes. It also doesn't appear related to the
 specific image as best I can tell - it's sporadic but regular enough to
 result in thrown objects!

 Based on today's hacking there is something funky going on with 5x and the
 way it handles max-execution-time compared to older versions.

 Based on stack, my own users and other forums the issue appears
 widespread.

 Replying to [comment:1 markparnell]:
 > Welcome to trac, @toomanyairmiles and thanks for the report. Have you
 tried uploading one of the images that consistently fails to a site on
 another server, and/or a clean WP install with no plugins and just one of
 the default themes?

 > If you're at liberty to do so it would probably also be helpful if you
 were able to upload one of those images here.

 > The above will all make it easier to narrow down exactly where the issue
 lies.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/50250#comment:2>