[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #49329: memory_limit in site health is not really correct, value is taken from wp_raise_memory_limit

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Fri May 22 09:10:31 UTC 2020

#49329: memory_limit in site health is not really correct, value is taken from
wp_raise_memory_limit
 Reporter:  espiat                               |       Owner:
                                                 |  SergeyBiryukov
     Type:  defect (bug)                         |      Status:  reopened

Comment (by zodiac1978):

 Replying to [comment:30 JavierCasares]:
 > So, if we show "PHP memory limit" and we get the information from the
 ini_get, this should be real. If a plugin modifies the information, is
 also real, because ''is what PHP uses''. If the user, hosting, or plugin
 do a bad configuration (setting more memory that the machine has) is
 something we cannot test (at least, as I said, not easily from the
 WordPress perspective).

 If I write "real", I mean the value which is available per script to
 allocate. In my case 128M. If Site Health shows 100M and 256M this is a
 bug IMHO. This error (at least the last value about the admin limit) is
 coming from WordPress itself through `wp_raise_memory_limit`. About the
 plugins: This is why I recommend getting the limit as early as possible.

 Showing the limit of 256M is confusing because I will get a Fatal Error
 after 128M (which is my real limit).

 > We can check the "PHP initial memory limit" and "PHP memory limit to
 use" (or whatever), as the original ticket said, but I don't think is a
 good idea to stop this because we don't have access to the real memory.

 The two values are "initial memory limit" and "memory limit in the admin
 area". And I think the value doesn't make sense at all if it shows 256M no
 matter what. Please tell me how this is useful for debugging issues if we
 cannot tell if this value could be used? I don't get it.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/49329#comment:31>