[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #49329: memory_limit in site health is not really correct, value is taken from wp_raise_memory_limit

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Fri May 15 07:22:44 UTC 2020

#49329: memory_limit in site health is not really correct, value is taken from
wp_raise_memory_limit
 Reporter:  espiat        |       Owner:  SergeyBiryukov
     Type:  defect (bug)  |      Status:  reopened
Changes (by zodiac1978):

 * keywords:  has-patch commit => needs-patch
 * status:  closed => reopened
 * resolution:  fixed =>

Comment:

 This is not fixing the underlying problem.

 > I'm on a hoster with 128M PHP memory limit. In Site Health it shows at
 the moment as 256M, because of this bug. Unfortunately you can *set* this
 higher limit without any errors, although the available memory is still
 128M.

 Although my *real* memory limit is 128M, WordPress will show as the second
 value now *always* as 256M. No matter what the server is having as a real
 limit. This is confusing IMHO.

 To my understanding this value is something like a "max-width" for CSS. Do
 not use more than 256M. It is not saying that this value is usable.

 {{{
 PHP-Speicher-Limit (memory_limit)       100M
 PHP memory limit (only for admin screens)       256M
 }}}

 Maybe this is intentional. But I think it is misleading. Especially for
 people not knowing the exact definition of memory_limit. If it is showing
 256M in every case. It is not serving any useful purpose I can think of.

--
Ticket URL: <https://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/49329#comment:17>