[wp-trac] [WordPress Trac] #49701: Quick Edit fails to populate taxonomy terms when show_in_quick_edit = true, and show_ui = false

WordPress Trac noreply at wordpress.org
Wed Mar 25 20:38:32 UTC 2020

#49701: Quick Edit fails to populate taxonomy terms when show_in_quick_edit = true,
and show_ui = false
-----------------------------+-----------------------------
 Reporter:  figureone        |      Owner:  (none)
     Type:  defect (bug)     |     Status:  new
Component:  Quick/Bulk Edit  |    Version:  trunk
 Severity:  normal           |   Keywords:
  Focuses:                   |
-----------------------------+-----------------------------
 Aloha, we discovered that the `show_in_quick_edit` property is not being
 checked when populating a post's taxonomy terms in `/wp-admin/edit.php`.
 As a consequence, if `show_in_quick_edit` is true, but `show_ui` is false
 for a given taxonomy, the Quick Edit UI will not check any of the term
 checkboxes, which can result in losing existing terms when a post is
 updated via Quick Edit.

 Likely this was just an oversight when `show_in_quick_edit` was introduced
 here:
 https://core.trac.wordpress.org/changeset/31307

 And it should be an easy fix to check `show_in_quick_edit` instead of
 `show_ui` here:
 https://github.com/WordPress/WordPress/blob/5.3.2/wp-
 admin/includes/template.php#L343
 https://github.com/WordPress/WordPress/blob/5.3.2/wp-
 admin/includes/template.php#L354

 `show_in_quick_edit` defaults to the value of `show_ui` if it isn't
 specified, so this change shouldn't introduce any issues.
 https://github.com/WordPress/WordPress/blob/5.3.2/wp-includes/class-wp-
 taxonomy.php#L334

 Our use case:
 We have a taxonomy and terms defined in a plugin that is not meant to be
 edited in the WordPress UI. However, we do want users to be able to assign
 taxonomy terms to posts in the Quick Edit UI.

 Extra details if needed:
 When clicking the Quick Edit button, `inline-edit-post.js` refers to the
 term divs to mark the correct checkboxes:
 https://github.com/WordPress/WordPress/blob/5.3.2/wp-admin/js/inline-edit-
 post.js#L305-L316
 Term divs are echoed here:
 https://github.com/WordPress/WordPress/blob/5.3.2/wp-